Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Mini Review: End of the Spear

On the flght I read through "The end of the spear" by Steve Saint. I thought it was perticularly fitting since I was going to ecuador.

The story of his father was widely published throughout the world when he and four others were killed by the "Aucas", or Wodoni who they were trying to make contact with in the jungle of ecuador.

Steve Saint tells the story of his living with there very people who killed his father as a boy, and how the lives of a tribe that lived with killing and hate turned around. The story has humor and is deeply moving, and was a truely fascinating read.

I was also very fascinated as a sort of hobby anthropologist the description of the culture, and how outsiders did their best to fit in to such a different world. There was the opposite factor of wodani trying to fit into the culture of ecuador and america (which are fairly different from each other!) that is poignent, funny and fascinating.

Over all, it is very well written. I thought perhaps the time skips were a little confusing, but I figured out pretty quickly when it was supposed to be. I highly recomend this book, especially for those who enjoy biographies.

No comments:

Post a Comment